Session One: Michael Lewis, President of the Business Marketing Association of Boston
What is “New Marketing?” (and why should I care?)
New Marketing incorporates old and new ideas and tactics. Some main findings:
- More than technology; it may involve old techniques or old ideas.
- It’s about listening and dialog, not broadcasting.
- Measuring the right things is better than everything – marketers measure too much, just measure the good, quality “stuff” a bunch of new metrics, better to measure focused things.
- Extends beyond the marketing department – You marketing team is a lot bigger than the marketing team.
- Not “One size fits all;” no standard blueprint – Different tools are more ideal for some than they are others and tools that work for some may not work for others.
Finally, the goals of marketing haven’t actually changed. It’s still about connecting with your customer