I’ve finally gotten around to reading ComScore’s 2011 Social Report that came out in late December. There are some great, granular pieces of data taken from March 2007-October 2011.
Some key stats:
- Social Networking is the most popular online activity. 1 in every 5 minutes of time online is now being spent on social networking sites (up from only 6% in early 2007), reaching 1.2 billion people total.
- Facebook is important. Facebook takes up the largest part of this time, reaching 55% of the worlds’ online population in October. Facebook also has incredibly high engagement, with 3 out of every 4 minutes of users’ time on social networks being spent on it instead of other networks, and taking up every seventh minute of people’s total time online.
- Twitter has grown by 59% in the past year and reaches 160 million monthly unique users worldwide.
- Microblogging is making a run. LinkedIn has grown by 55% to nearly 100 million, while Tumblr is up 172% to nearly 40 million. Google+ now has 65 million users worldwide.
- More and more people want to share around interests, not just the close social relationships.
- Social Networks are continuing to reach all age groups, not just the youngins. The 55+ age group continues to be the fastest growing demographic in terms of social network usage, which increased by almost 10% since July 201.
- Women continue to lead men in engagement across the world — by 2 hours or 30% per month in North America and Europe.
- What about email? Email usage has been declining in usage among younger age groups, a trend that’s not likely to change.
- People in Latin America spend a noticeably large amount of their time - 28% – online on sites like Facebook and Twitter. This number is only 11% in Asia.
- But hold on, in that percentage for Asia, the Philippines is actually the most socially networked country in the world, with 43% of users time being spent on social networks.
- Israelis spend the most time on social networking sites, with 11.1 hours devoted to them in the month of October (2011)
You can download the full report here.
- 95% of online Indians spend time on social networking sites (socialmediaalley.wordpress.com)
- 6 Compelling Social Media Stats Marketers Should Know [Data] (hubspot.com)
- ComScore: Top 10 Need-to-Knows About Social Networking and Where Its Headed (bespacific.com)