A 7 minute Master Class on “A Smarter Kind of Viral,” with James B Campbell Assistant Professor of Marketing at Wharton Business School and Authorof Contagious. Part of Fast Company’s Innovation Uncensored 2013 event, 23-24 April in NYC.
- Why do things go viral? What can organizations learn from it?
- Word of mouth has a big impact on human behavior. Trust and targeting. You trust where it comes from, and you’re not going to hear about it unless it’s relevant.
- Only 7% of WOM is online.
- Things don’t go viral because of cats.
- Social Transmission: Why do people talk and share? It’s not random, it’s not luck.
- Six key steps: Social Currency, Triggers, Emotion, Public, Practical Value, Stories.
- Top-of-mind means tip-of-tongue. Pick the right triggers.