2011 SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING INDUSTRY REPORT
How Marketers Are Using Social Media to Grow Their Businesses
Social Media Marketing is becoming the hottest topic on how businesses across the country are personally connecting with their consumers. It has become known that these tools used by people just like you are helping to spread the word in mass quantities at lightening speed! So how often is social media marketing being used in 2011?
A report produced by Social Media Examiner found that the overwhelming majority (93%) of businesses indicated they were employing social media for marketing purposes. And a significant 90% of marketers said that social media was important to their businesses. So whether you are self employed or are newly in charge of your company’s social media, this report will give you current insight on how organizations are using social media.
How much time is being spent on social media?
- 58% of marketers are using social media for 6 hours or more.
- 34% for 11 or more hours per week.
- The other 15% of marketers spend 20 plus hours each week on social media.
Age also plays a role in social media participation.
- 41% of those implementing social media are in the 20 to 29 year old age group which are spending 11 or more hours weekly, the most out of any other age group.
- 37% of 30 to 39 year olds are spending 11 or more hours per week on social media marketing.
So, what are the benefits of social media marketing in today’s massively social world?
First off, it has taken a huge stand in an offly loud world of marketing.
- 88% of all marketers stated that their social media efforts have generated more exposure for their businesses.
The second major benefit is the fact that:
- 72% are reporting positive results and creating more traffic as well as gaining larger numbers of cliets.
How long does it take for social media to improve sales?
First off, it takes time to develop actual business. Though, a large percentage of marketers who take the time, find great results. For example:
- 72% of marketers who have been implementing social media for more than 3 years expressed it has helped them to gain business. Half of those who spend 11 or more hours per week find that same result.
- 81 % of marketers say social marketing is also increasing positive exposure for businesses, even with a minimal time investment. Nearly all marketers who have been implementing social media for at least a year report it generates exposure for their business.
- 72% of those conducting social media activities for more than 3 years strongly agree.
So, what tools are generating all the success? By a long shot, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and blog writing are the top four social media tools used by marketers, with Facebook leading the pack. When implementing these tools, a significant number of participants strongly agreed that overall marketing costs decreased. Many marketers also plan to increase their business through the use of YouTube/video and blogs in the very near future. So, do you plan to jump aboard the social media marketing wagon?
- From #SXSW: 5 challenges for social media marketers (smartblogs.com)
- Join Us for a Series of Social Media Marketing Webinars and Twitter Chats (blogs.constantcontact.com)
- 11 Keys to Social Media Marketing Success (blogs.constantcontact.com)
- Announcing… Social Media for Social Good: A How-To Guide for Nonprofits! (nonprofitorgs.wordpress.com)
- Social Media and B2B Marketing (e1evation.com)